In a nutshell, In-country testing means testing your app or service in the intended launch countries.
Why In-Country Testing?
- SMS – you need to hook up with the operator (either direct or via aggregator) for your app to work
- Mobile Web – your markup may screw up or cookies do not work
- Native Apps – app keeps crashing due to network instability
This is why in-country (or in-market) testing is necessary.
For some of these you may be able to test by using sims (GSM) with data roaming. However there are limitations:
- SMS – shortcodes do not roam in general
- The network of the city or country may not be stable causing timeouts on your app